Our eighth literary quiz was dedicated to cult writer Harry Crews.
Our winner, Jim Strachan - firstname.lastname@example.org -, had "heard only peripherally of Harry Crews and thanks to you and your quiz I'm in the process of reading his entire opus."
|(1) Crews´ first
published novel, The Gospel Singer, was at one point going to be made into a film
(a) Warren Beatty
(b) Tom Jones
(c) Scott Walker
(2) While on an assignment for Esquire
magazine in 1979 Crews was knocked unconscious by a fellow spectator. He was covering:
(3) Belt, the karate instructor in Karate Is A Thing Of The
(4) "Cho waters his ox, Hu washes his ears." Name the novel.
(5) In which film did Harry Crews briefly appear:
(6) What is Shereel Dupont´s real name?
(7) What model of car does Herman Mack attempt to eat in Car?
(8) The character Russell Muscle had appeared in two other
novels before Body. The Knockout Artist is one. The other is:
(9) In A Childhood: the Biography of a Place, a young Harry Crews and his best friend make up stories using the Sears, Roebuck catalogue. What's his friend´s name?
(10) Most people call them rednecks. What does Harry Crews prefer to call them?
(11) In the article 'Going Down In Valdeez '(Playboy), Crews
wakes up after a night of beer and vodka to discover that:
(12) What fate befalls Stump at Forever and Forever?
(13) The character Gaye Nell Odell appeared in Karate Is A Thing Of The Spirit and later in another book as a different person. Name the novel.
(14) "This is freak the citizens month," Crews
announced on the Dennis Miller Show in February 1992. He was referring to:
(15) George Gattling´s nephew, Fred, dies bizarrely in the novel The Hawk Is Dying. How?
(16) Mr. Blasingame of J.Alfred Blasingame Enterprises is also known to some citizens of New Orleans under another name. What is it?
(17) How does Pete Butcher repay Max Winekoff for dragging him miles to the zoo in the sweltering heat in the novel Scar Lover?
(18) Jefferson Davis Munroe appears in This Thing Don´t Lead To Heaven as a masseur. In Karate Is A Thing Of The Spirit, his portrait is displayed in Belt´s dojo. He is a legend in the karate world but has one significant handicap. As John Kaimon puts it: "Well, if he meets another _ _ _ _ _ _, he can sure whip his ass." Fill in the missing word (six letters!).
(19) Which novel by Graham Greene did Crews dissect in an
attempt to structure an early unpublished work of his own:
(20) Which celebrity couple (since divorced) did Crews accompany to a Mike Tyson fight?
(21) Crews has a line of poetry tattooed on his arm. From what poem/poet is the line taken?
|Quiz by John Mulholland: email@example.com
© 2000 The Barcelona Review
This quiz may not be archived or distributed further without the review's express permission. Please see our conditions of use.
|navigation: barcelona review #20 september - october 2000|
|Article||September and October in Barcelona|