|NO PRIZE BUT IF
YOU WOULD LIKE A GO BEFORE LOOKING AT THE ANSWERS BELOW, CLICK HERE
Being a writer is having the worst vocation. Youre
demon-run, under compulsion, always being driven. Its a lonely, frustrating work
which is never as good as you want it to be. You have to keep on trying, but its
still not good enough. Its never good enough. What the reward is for the writer, I
Faulkner, Lion in the Garden
1. Faulkners invented Yoknapatawpha County was named after...
a.) an old Indian village
b.) a mountain
c.) a stream
d.) a crossroad
2. Name the character, reminiscent of Prufrock, who spoke these lines from
Faulkners early poetry:
Now that the city grows black and chill and empty,
Who am I, thinks PIERROT, who am I
To stretch my soul out rigid across the sky?
3. After he got sacked from selling books at Lord & Taylor, Faulkner
returned to Mississippi to take up the job of...
b.) golf caddie
c.) train-station master
d.) ambulance driver
4. Faulkners first novel begins with the conversation of two war veterans on
a train. Here they meet a third veteran, wounded and befuddled, whose name is...
5. The Sound and the Fury grew from a short story of Faulkners
a.) "That Evening Sun Go Down"
c.) "A Justice"
d.) "Barn Burning"
6. The most vicious of the Compson siblings...
7. In As I Lay Dying, this is the Bundren who drills holes into his
mothers coffin lid which tear into her face ...
8. . . . and this is the Bundren who sets the barn on fire...
9. Temple Drake hopes she never sees one of these again ...
a.) a corn cob
b.) a monkey wrench
c.) a dog bone
d.) a flat iron
10. In this haunting war story, a patrol tumbles into a trench where the skeletons
of dead soldiers confront them ...
11. Which Hitchcock film has similarities to Faulkners "A Rose for
12. Percy Grimm castrates Joe Christmas with a kitchen knife in which novel?
b.) Light in August
d.) The Wild Palms
13. In Absalom, Absalom! this biblically symbolic character is murdered
at the age of 33, sacrificed because of the sins inherited from a previous generation.
a.) Charles Bon
b.) Thomas Stupen
c.) Goodhue Coldfield
d.) Shreve McCannon
14. In one of the connecting tales in The Unvanquished Bayard Sartoris
and Ringo Strother hide from a Yankee soldier...
a.) behind an old mule
b.) up Granny Rosas chimney
c.) under Granny Rosas skirt
d.) inside the soldiers supply wagon
15. During his script-writing days in Hollywood Faulkner took to this actor,
who hadnt known that Faulkner was a famous writer. "Oh, do you write?" he
asked. "Yes, Mr. ______" Faulkner replied. " What do you do?" The
innocent actor was ...
a.) Robert Mitchum
b.) Montgomery Clift
c.) Humphrey Bogart
d.) Clark Gable
16. The one thing that Faulkner always had in common with his wife was a love of
d.) the opposite sex
17. "Barn Burning," which would win an O.Henry Award and become one
of Faulkners best known stories, was rejected by many magazines before being picked
b.) Saturday Evening Post
c.) Atlantic Monthly
18. Ike Snopes falls in love with...
a.) his mother
b.) his sister
c.) a Baptist minister
d.) a cow
19. She was sentenced to hang for the murder of Temple Drakes infant
d.) Miss Maud
20. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward teamed up for a film adaptation that drew on
two Faulkner stories and which novel?
a.) The Sound and the Fury
b.) The Hamlet
c.) Requiem for a Nun
d.) Intruder in the Dust
21. Which one of the following actors did not appear in a film or TV
adaptation of Faulkners work?
a.) Orson Welles
b.) Joan Crawford
c.) Steve McQueen
d.) Don Johnson
e.) Robert Duvall
f.) Billy Bob Thornton
g.) Tommy Lee Jones
h.) Cybill Shepherd
i.) Angelica Huston