1. From which novels do the following characters come?
a.) Legs Sadovsky _____________________
b.) Nadine Greene _____________________
c.) Enid Maria Stevick
d.) Quentin P. ________________________
e.) Zachary Lundt _____________________
f.) Abraham Licht _____________________
g.) the Gemini Twins ___________________
h.) Glynnis McCullough _________________
i.) Abigail Des Pres ____________________
j.) Veronica "Verrie" Myers ______________
k.) Brigit Scott ________________________
l.) Corky Corcoran ____________________
m.) Jinx Fairchild ______________________
n.) Richard Everett ____________________
o.) Gillian Brauer ______________________
2. In the short story "Naked," a middle-age woman
a.) walks in on her son standing naked in the living room
b.) becomes transfixed by a naked man in a city reservoir
c.) is left naked in a wildlife preserve
d.) overlooks a naked car-accident victim while awaiting an
3. In which one of these short stories does Oates portray a young girls
coming of age?
a.) "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?"
c.) "Why Dont You Come Live With Me Its
4. What novel is Oates referring to in this line from a well-known essay?
This great novel, though not inordinately long, and, contrary to general assumption,
not inordinately complicated, manages to be a number of things: a romance that brilliantly
challenges the basic presumptions of the "romantic"; a "gothic" that
evolveswith an absolutely inevitable graceinto its temperamental opposite; a
parable of innocence and loss, and childhood's necessary defeat; and a work of consummate
skill on its primary level, that is, the level of language.
5. In Oatess fictional biography of Marilyn Monroe, Marilyn dies
a.) solely from a self-induced overdose of drugs
b.) from an injection deliberately given to her
c.) from a complication of drugs given to her by Robert Kennedy
d.) from a suppository administered to her by her private
6. In which novel does one of the
protagonists write a letter to her teacher of years ago, one "Miss Oates"?
7. Her fictional name is Kelly Kelleher, but she is based on which real-life
8. Marina Troy in Middle Age: A Romance
takes off to spend a year in
b.) the Poconos
c.) the Rocky Mountains
d.) upstate Vermont
9. Which novel is titled after a song by the
10. Fill in the blank: "___________
has become Americas tragic theater."
11. In one of her more recently published novels Oates employs the expression
"affable slug." To what is she referring and to whom does it belong?
12. All of the "Circle" loved this
handsome greaser and never got over him . . .
a.) Jules Wendall
b.) Arnold Friend
c.) John Reddy Heart
13. The American saga that follows six generations of a wealthy clan and includes
a female vampire is
a.) We Were the Mulvaneys
c.) You Must Remember This
d.) Unholy Loves
14.In the short story "Poor Bibi,"
Bibi dies from being
15. Name the poem from which the following lines
I saw how the window at last
framed only what was there,
beyond the frame,
that could not fall.
16. In an essay Oates states: "__________is
certainly the greatest novel in the English language, and one might argue for its being
the greatest single work of art in our tradition." What is the novel?
17. Rosamond Smith is
a.) a pseudonym of Oates
b.) the protagonist of A Bloodmoor Romance
c.) Oatess sister-in-law
d.) the name of Oatess cat
18. In which one-act play do three Americans enter
a bomb shelter in an unnamed European country?
19. The novel
which begins "Id been brought to the hospital in wrist shackles" is
b.) The Assassins
d.) Man Crazy
20. In the short story
"Shopping, "a mother and daughter
a.) witness a murder spree at a
b.) are driving around looking for a new shopping mall
c.) both work at a mall
d.) go shopping at a mall
21. Which one of the following actors does not
appear in a film adaptation of
a.) Isabella Rossellini
b.) Angelina Jolie
c.) Laura Dern
d.) Aidan Quinn
e.) John Diehl
g.) Treat Williams
h.) Cathy Moriarty
i.) Lili Taylor
22. The distinguished small press started by Oates and her husband Raymond Smith
a.) The Ontario Press
b.) Dalkey Archive Press
c.) Pushcart Press
d.) Review of Contemporary Fiction
23. From where does Randy Southers excellent Joyce Carol Oates webpage Celestial Timepiece take its