|excerpt from The Cold Six Thousand | book review|
The James Ellroy Quiz
Thirty questions that really stumped most of you but Emma Willis from Hampshire, U.K got 'em all and wins the signed copy of Crime Wave. Russ Peacey (also from the UK - conspiricy fans take note!) was off by a mere whisker and gets a TBR bookmark kindly signed by Ellroy.
mother first went to L.A because
a. she wanted to be a movie star
b. she wanted to get a job as a nurse
c. she had won a beauty contest and the prize was a trip to L.A.
2. James Ellroy's real name is
a. Lee Earle Ellroy
b. Armand Earle Ellroy
c. Lloyd Earle Ellroy
d. Leroy Earle Ellroy
3. Ellroy's father gave him a book for his 11th birthday which left a strong impression. The book was
a. The Glass Key by Dashiell Hammett
b. The Badge by Jack Webb
c. The Lady in the Lake by Raymond Chandler
d. Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
4. When Ellroy was 27 years old, he found himself tied to a hospital bed, nearly dead from alcohol and inhalers. What were the words that he scribbled on the wall next to his name? I will not go insane
Text Trivia . . .
5. Browns Requiem, Ellroy's first novel, gives us the female character Jane Baker, who plays the
6. The club that gets torched in Browns Requiem is
a. the Black Cat
b. the Pharaoh
c. the Utopia
d. the Silver Star
7. They were a cop team known as Mr. Fire and Mr. Ice. Name the two characters.Sergeant Lee Blanchard (Mr Fire) and Officer Dwight "Bucky" Bleichert (Mr Ice) From The Black Dahlia
8. Steve Crane - in the short story "Hush-Hush" from Crime Wave, and in real life - was the owner of this restaurant . . .
b. Pacific Dining Car
9. Name their daddies (American Tabloid):
a. Clare __Kemper Boyd
b. Helen __Tom Agee
c. Susan __Ward J. Little
10. Pete Bondurant is first introduced in which novel?
a. L.A. Confidential
b. White Jazz
c. American Tabloid
d. The Big Nowhere
11. . . . and Dudley Smith first appears in
a. The Black Dahlia
b. Because the Night
d. Blood on the Moon
12. The character of Laura Hughes (AT) was supposedly the daughter of
a. Howard Hughes and Marlene Dietrich
b. Joe Kennedy and Gloria Swanson
c. mobster Sam Giancana and Jean Harlow
d. William Randolph Hearst and Carole Lombard
13. In "Tijuana Mon Amour" from Crime Wave, what were Sammy Davis Jr. and Danny Getchell smuggling into Mexico?
a. skim money
c. stolen furs
14. In the short story "Since I Don't Have You," this character finds himself working for two kingpins, which produces a 'conflict of interest'? Who is he?
a. Buzz Meeks
b. Ward Littell
c. Bud White
d. Pete Bondurant
15. A cozy little club down Tijuana way that Bucky
Bleichert visits in The Black Dahlia . . .
26. His name's Bill Stoner and he helped Ellroy
a. investigate the murder of his mother
|© 2001 The Barcelona Review
This quiz may not be archived, reproduced or distributed further without the author's express permission. Please see our conditions of use.
|navigation:||barcelona review 25 July - August 2001|
|Interview||Michael Ondaatje meets his translators|
|Book Reviews||Rufus Goodwin, Chris Sheerin, Abdulrazak Gurnah|
Reviews (all issues)
TBR Archives (authors listed alphabetically)